Monday, May 25, 2009

Bees Don't Like Weed-Eaters

(image from Best Health)

I learned a new fact this afternoon: bees definitely do not like weed-eaters!

The area around the hive was starting to get overgrown with ferns and various weeds. So while I was out with the weed-eater taking care of the edges of the lawn, I decided to clean up around the beehive. I knew I didn't want to linger, so I decided to just go in and clear around and behind the hive, and then leave.

Well, the next thing I knew I had this sharp pain on my left temple near my safety glasses (I always wear safety glasses when using the weed-eater; safety first!!). Apparently some of the girls took offense at me coming around with a loud, smelly piece of equipment, kicking up bits and pieces of vegetation around their home. After I felt the sting, I looked over at the hive and there were a lot of bees coming from the hive.

I made a hasty retreat to my deck, and I could still hear the bees buzzing around my head. I felt an additional sting on the side of my head, so I think I got nailed twice.

So I learned my lesson - don't do that again! Or if I need to, I should smoke the hive first, and maybe put something over the entrance while I am actually near the hive with the weed-eater.

I was going to mow the lawn today, but I think I'll wait for another day...

3 comments:

  1. You'll probably laugh, but I cut around my hive just yesterday by standing on either side of the hive and using a pair of kitchen shears! My husband goes nowhere near our hive with the mower or the weed eater and the tall stalks were starting to impede my pollen-laden girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wear my overalls and veil when I mow around my hives. Last year, I was told (when I visited Dadant's local office) about a guy in southern Virginia who was weed-eating around some bee hives there and he got stung multiple times, that drove him into a heart attack and he collapsed and died. Hey, I may look silly to some, but bees and motorized gasoline driven equipment just don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the good post, I was searching for details similar to this, Your web site offered us with useful information to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin