- Remove any feed jars and extra supers (which are simply covering the jars)
- Close up the screened bottom boards with pink styrofoam boards
- Add 2" shims under the inner cover in preparation for any winter feeding (provides extra space for the sugar candy)
- Add styrofoam insulation in between the inner and outer cover
- Add mouseguards to the entrances
Here are the backyard hives ready for winter. Note that I don't wrap them - they sit against the woods, which provides enough wind break (in my opinion).
P.S. Being a beekeeper, I always am the recipient of interesting bee-related gifts. Here's what my stepmom sent me for Christmas! :-)