Saturday, July 20, 2013

Sutton Queen Check

Last week in Sutton I did a walk away split, moving some frames to the nuc to let them raise a queen. I thought I'd do a quick check on them to see how they are doing.

Here's the nuc. You can see along both sides of the center frame a bunch of bees.


You can see on the next two pictures the characteristic hanging "peanut" cells of queen cells:



I counted about 5 cells, which is good. I decided not to mess with separating those frames - I'll let the queen be born and they can fight it out to see who wins.

I also decided to bring over a bunch of the frames of honey left over from last year's Sutton hive, to give them a food boost.


It's a shame to let this go to waste, but it won't now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin