Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Quick Bee Check

 
(picture from here)

We are deep in the winter, and it's been a couple of weeks since I checked on the bees. The weather hasn't been warm enough to let the bees take any flights, so they've been hunkered down in the hives.
Last month I added the sugar on the hives, and a week later I checked and the sugar was untouched. Tonight I went out to the hives with a flashlight (since it was already dark) and took a quick peek.

At the green hive, I lifted the outer cover and insulating panel. Looking in the hole of the inner cover, I saw a bunch of eyes looking back up at me! There were a bunch of bees consuming the sugar, which is what I want to see! I didn't take a picture, since I didn't want to disturb the hive any more than necessary. They had consumed about 1/3 of the sugar, so I have a ways to go before I have to add more sugar.

On to the brown hive, I was able to lift the inner cover, since I saw very little activity. Here's a picture I took of the sugar:


You'll notice a few bees on top / around. I think these were bees which got separated from the cluster, and made it to the top and then got too cold.

I am still holding out hope for the brown hive - it could surprise me. It would be a very welcome surprise!

1 comment:

  1. Found your site through Kim V's comment. I've always wanted a hive. I'm in WV now but hope to get back to MA soon. This will be fun to read and glean information in the meantime. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin